Friday, February 20, 2009

Surf's Up



















2007

Director: Ash Brannon / Chris Buck

Distributor: Columbia Pictures / Universal Pictures

Key Elements: Lines – Visuals – Characters – Message – Concept – Music

My Review:

In college, this was my all-nighter movie. If I was going to be up till dawn writing a paper, I would play this movie in the background. I can’t be sleepy while watching this movie – it’s too colorful, alive, fun and positive.

And it’s got a great message. Love what you do. The moment it becomes something else to you – winning, being the best, etc. – you lose that magic. Do what you love purely for the love.

Also, I’ve long been mystified by the tao of surfing and it’s well represented in this movie.

Fun watch.

Clip:



Quotes:
  • Everyone's like Cody's this, Cody's that. Cody's me bro, let me be me.
  • So as soon as there was the first wave, right? - there was the first surfer. All they needed was, like, um, a piece of driftwood, a block of ice or something like that, and then they were off. And they were hooked, man. They were hooked. Up 'till recent times, you had your old dudes, you know, your hang-six cats, these old guys used to lay down with these huge, humongous boards. These guys were the pioneers, but nobody saw what surfing could be until Big Z did it.
    - Could you tell us who Big Z was?
    Who was Big Z? You're asking the right guy. You got that far. Z is everything. Big Z is surfing. I mean, there might as well not been an ocean before Z. They invented the ocean for him. Cause he lived so hard because he wasn't afraid to live. He wasn't afraid to die. He came to Antartica when I was just a kid. Man, it was the biggest thing that ever happened here. And suddenly there he was. Just floating on the water. Hovering, you know, like weightless. He could've walked up to anyone, and he walks right up to me. And he gives me this awesome, one-of-a-kind Big Z necklace. And then he tells me, "You know, kid, never give up. Find a way, 'cause that's what winners do." He was the greatest. Everyone looke up to him, respected him, loved him. And one day, one day, I'm gonna be just like him.
  • Whoah! You gotta try this blowhole thing, man! This whale dude is giving me a brain freeze.
  • You know, we've known each other way back since, like... yesterday, I think it was.
    Alright, well this is the third time this week you've been unconscious. I just don't think it's very good for your brain.
  • Who wants to see the champion take on the little guy? Little guys rule!No joy, man. No joy. Fail.
Stills:

























No comments: