Sunday, March 15, 2009

Elizabethtown


















2005

Director: Cameron Crowe

Distributor: Paramount Pictures

Key Elements: Lines - Characters – Message – Music

My Review:

This movie has grown on me over time.

After an epic failure at work, Drew is contemplating suicide. But when he hears of his father’s sudden death, he postpones his plan to help his family with the arrangements. Those arrangements bring him to his father’s home in the south, and he crosses paths with Clair – a girl who gives him new hope in life.

The first thing I loved about this movie was that it makes a great argument for engaging in life. Drew wants to escape, but Clair won’t let him. She doesn’t deny his despair, but she encourages him to face it. She invites him to fully drink it in, but then to let it go. Pain is real, but life goes on. There have been times I wish someone had given me such wise guidance.

The other thing I love is how Clair draws his attention to the joyful little things in life. Drew had lived in the world of big ideas where value was measured by conquering and success. Clair pulls him down to earth and forces him to stop taking himself so seriously. She shows him the beauty of a sunrise, the joy of a song, and the treasure of friendship. She shows him life outside of himself.

On top of all this, there’s an awesome scene at his father’s funeral where a band plays Free Bird and sets the stage on fire. It’s incredible and I am now seriously considering having Free Bird played at my own funeral.

Full of simple wisdom and great character interaction, I’d totally recommend seeing this movie at least once.

Clip:



Quotes:
  • Trust me. Everybody is less mysterious than they think they are.
  • We peaked on the phone.
  • Drew, it was real, and it was great, and it was really great.
  • I'm one of a kind.
  • What they say is, it *will* hit you, it could be ten minutes or it could be ten years from now.
  • Most of the sex I've had in my life was not as personal as that kiss.
  • And don't worry. Because as great as you look tonight, you are safe with me.
  • To have never taken a solitary road trip across country? I mean everybody's got to take a road trip, at least once in their lives. Just you and some music.
  • Death and life. And death and life. Right *next door* to each other! There's like, there's a hair between them.
  • Okay, it's all about family bro.
    - Thank you, Chuck.
  • Because we have a moment here, let me tell you that I have recently become a secret connoisseur of 'last looks'. You know the way people look at you when they believe it's for the last time? I've started collecting these looks.
  • All forward motion counts.
  • It takes time to be funny. It takes time to extract joy from life.
  • I want you to get into the deep beautiful melancholy of everything that's happened.
  • Sadness is easier because its surrender. I say make time to dance alone with one hand waving free.
  • So you failed. Alright you really failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You failed. You think I care about that? I do understand. You wanna be really great? Then have the courage to fail big and stick around. Make them wonder why you're still smiling.
  • I'm going to miss your lips. And everything attached to them.
  • You know, You're always trying to break up with me, and we're not even together.
    - I know... We're not?
  • If it wasn't this... it'd be something else.
  • You're great, Claire. Actually, you're kinda amazing.
  • Just tell me you love me and get it over with!

Stills:











No comments: