Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Easy A

2010

Director: Will Gluck

Distributor: Screen Gems

Key Elements: Story – Lines – Characters – Concept - Symbolism – Music

Review:

Based on Nathaniel Hawthorn’s The Scarlett Letter, Easy A tells the story of a girl with a reputation for promiscuity. The twist? Her reputation is a farce.

Seeking popularity, Olive sells the use of her name to boys desiring fodder for locker room bragging. But the gimmick comes back to bite her. And this movie is cleverly told from the perspective of Olive’s setting-the-record-straight vlog post.

I love how Olive idealizes John Hughs movies. I also love that she helped me realize that one of the most attractive things on a woman is a good vocabulary.

I’ll admit it rubbed me the wrong way that the antagonist in the movie is a caricaturized “Christian.” I’m no stranger to pointing out how often Christians present the worst representations of what it means to be a Christian. But Easy A’s depiction is unfair to say the least. *sigh*

But if I rationalize, the story IS based on The Scarlett Letter – a story in which the antagonists are ALSO judgemental religious types.

Anyway, there’s still a lot I like about this movie. Plus, it introduced me to the music of One Republic.

Trailer:

Quotes:

  • The rumors of my promiscuity have been greatly exaggerated.
  • A is for Awesome.
  • I think I'll lose my virginity to him. Maybe in five minutes, maybe tonight, maybe sixth months from now, or maybe on the night of our wedding. Either way, it's really none of your business.

Stills:




No comments: