Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Time Traveler's Wife



2009

Director: Robert Schwentke

Distributor: New Line Cinema

Key Elements: Story – Concept

Review:

It has got to be hard to make a Sci-fi Romanca movie. But this one pulls it off. And I'm surprised by how much I like it.

I think the real beauty of the sci-fi genre, is that the science creates situations that draw out bigger philosophical questions. In this case, how would this anomaly affect a marriage? I can't think of many other sci-fi movies that have gone there before.

[Spoiler Warning:]

My favorite thing about this movie is the ending. Henry's past self travels to after his death, giving his wife a daughter a last chance to see him. I'll admit, I got really choked up here. It made me think of how, as Christians, death really ISN'T the last word for us. In the end, we'll all be reunited with God. I love how this movie gives us a tiny taste of how it will feel - but unlike in this movie, it will last.

Trailer:



Quotes:

  • I was just hoping you're married to me.
  • That's your daughter. She's time-travelling.
  • I wouldn't change one second of our life together.

Stills:

No comments: