Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Little Manhattan


2005

Director: Mark Levin, Jennifer Flackett

Distributor: 20th Century Fox

Key Elements: Story –Characters –Concept

Review:

This is a very cute movie. I clearly remember when I first started to notice girls, and so much of this movie resonates with my experience. I even remember the debates about whether or not girls mature faster than boys.

It’s a fun watch, but I think the ending is the best part.

Also, I love that New York City itself is like a character of the story.

[Spoiler Warning:]

Gabe explains that this is a love story, but it’s not until the end that you realize the love isn’t his and Rosemary’s – It’s his parents. After fighting and threatening divorce through the whole movie, they finally get back together.

I think it illustrates that no problem can be too difficult to fix in a relationship if both people are willing. What I love is that I think the crucial moment comes in a conversation Gabe has with his dad. Gabe asks why all love has to end. And his dad’s face shows that he realizes the wrong message he’s been sending his son. And I love that, like a good dad, he takes steps to correct it.

Trailer:

Quotes:

  • I really had no room for a woman in my life.
  • Okay, what's going on here? What the heck is this? Oh my God. What's this feeling in the pit of my stomach? Who is this - this amazing creature before me? I looked at Rosemary and just felt so, um, confused. She's a girl. I'm supposed to despise girls, not feel nervous talking to one, not feel tongue-tied. I mean this was Rosemary Telesco, I knew her since Kindergarten!
  • Does she like like me?
  • Never had I been so keenly aware of the ability of palm to manufacture sweat, but I was determined to hold that girl's hand for every single second.
  • This much I know firsthand - love hurts.
  • Look at them all. Rats in their cages, their lives destroyed by love. I'm done with it. I won't be like them. The fools.
  • See, this is just like I told you. Same thing I knew getting into this whole mess - love ends.
  • But it wasn't that easy. I guess love never is.

Stills:

No comments: