Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Sandlot

1993

Director: David Mickey Evans

Distributor: 20th Century Fox

Key Elements: Story – Lines – Characters – Message

Review:

When I was a kid, my mom suggested we rent this movie form blockbuster, and I turned it down. I remembered seeing girls in swimsuits in the trailer, and I thought it would be awkward to watch with my folks. Eventually, however, I saw it and loved it.

It's another cult classic and tells the story of the wild summer had by a group of baseball loving boys. Like other movies of this genre, its charm comes from its iconic characters, memorable lines and winsome story telling.

Trailer:

Quotes:

  • But I'm not good at anything, mom. Face it, I'm just an egghead.
  • Man, this is baseball. You gotta stop thinking. Just have fun. I mean, if you were having fun you would've caught that ball.
  • L, 7, Weenie!
  • I've been coming here every summer of my adult life, and every summer there she is oiling and lotioning, lotioning and oiling... smiling. I can't take this no more!
  • You play ball like a girl!
  • I don't know. Some lady gave it to him. She even signed her name on it... Ruth. Baby Ruth.
  • For-ev-ver! For-ev-ver! For-ev-ver! For-ev-ver!
  • You’re killing me, Smalls.
  • And we did the dumbest thing anyone of us could ever have imagined.
  • Let me tell you something kid; Everybody gets one chance to do something great. Most people never take the chance, either because they're too scared, or they don't recognize it when it spits on their shoes.
  • Remember kid, there's heroes and there's legends. Heroes get remembered but legends never die, follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong.
  • Baseball was life! And I was good at it... real good.
  • Bertram?... Bertram got really into the 60s, and no one ever saw him again.

Stills:









No comments: