Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Nightmare before Christmas














1993

Director: Henry Selick

Produced: Tim Burton

Distributor: Touchstone Pictures, Walt Disney Pictures

Key Elements: Concept - Music – Gospel - Visual

Review:

Jack is more or less the king of Halloween, but he senses an emptiness in his life. That’s when he stumbles upon Christmas …and tries to claim it as his own. The movie really doesn’t explore this premise much beyond the basic idea, but it unfolds in gorgeous – now iconic – imagery. And the visuals really are the point of this picture.

[Spoiler Warning:]

And I love that the Boogeyman is defeated when he unravels into nothing – To me it makes a great statement about how a lot of our fears really have no substance to them.

Trailer:

Quotes:

  • Nice work, Bone Daddy!
  • I, Jack, the Pumpkin King, grow tired of the same old thing.
  • Just because I cannot see it, doesn't mean I can't believe it!
  • You've poisoned me for the last time, you wretched girl!
  • This year, Christmas will be - OURS!
  • J-J-J-Jack! But they said you were dead. You must be - double dead!
  • How dare you treat my friend so shamefully!
  • together, now and forever. For it is plain, as anyone can see. We're simply meant to be.

Stills:




No comments: