Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cinderella Man



















2005

Director: Ron Howard

Distributor: Universal Pictures

My Review:

This is the true story of how James Braddock came out of retirement to become the champ.
It is also an insightful look into the struggles of men trying to hold their families together during the Great Depression.

But I love this movie for how it depicts a good husband and father. Jimmy Braddock is at once firm and tender in disciplining his kids. He keeps his promises to them. He sacrifices, not only his share of food, but his pride among his friend, to ensure that his kids get what they need. There are so many moments when his character just blows me away.

If only he didn’t give up on praying in the story. I would have rather heard about how his strength came from God.

All the same, it’s a good movie about an amazing husband and father.

And the boxing is pretty exciting too.

Trailer:



Quotes:
  • You're all heart.
    - My heart is for my family. My brains and my balls are for business.
  • You think you're telling me something? Like, what, boxing is dangerous, something like that? You don't think working triple shifts and at night on a scaffold isn't just as likely to get a man killed? What about all those guys who died last week living in cardboard shacks to save on rent money just to feed their family, 'cause guys like you have not quite figured out a way yet to make money off of watching that guy die? But in my profession - and it is my profession - I'm a little more fortunate.
  • Bob Johnson, Boston Globe. Two days ago, we ran a story about you giving your relief money back. Can you tell our readers why?
    - I believe we live in a great country, a country that's great enough to help a man financially when he's in trouble. But lately, I've had some good fortune, and I'm back in the black. And I just thought I should return it.
  • Get that boys? Now he's got his wife doing his fighting for him!
    - Yeah. Ain't she something?
  • I came to pray for Jim.
    - So did they.
Stills:















No comments: