Monday, January 5, 2009

Titanic


















1997

Director: James Cameron

Composer: James Horner

Distributor: Fox Movies

Key Elements: Characters – Visuals – Music – Symbolism - Gospel

My Review:

This is THE movie.

It is one of the best performing, most awarded movies ever made, with drama, romance, good writing, special effects, tragedy, humanity and beautiful music. But it’s also more than that.
It’s one of the best movie illustrations of the Gospel I’ve seen.

Rose is trapped in an engagement that is destroying her but compelling her to stay. In despair, she wishes for death. She is like all of us trapped in sin – leading to death.

But then Jack shows up. He’s poor, but his spirit is free. He gives her the strength to imagine a different life. In the end, he gives up his life to save her, allowing her to go on to live a new life with beautiful experiences.

Jack is the Christ-figure of the story. He sacrifices himself and not only frees her from her bad situation, but leads her into a better one. It’s similar to how Christ sacrificed himself to free us from sin and lead us into abundant life.

Visually stunning. Musically moving. And a story that reflects THE story. Completely great movie.

Clip:



Quotes:
  • They called the Titanic the Ship of Dreams. And it was. It really was.
  • I'm the king of the world!
  • The difference between Cal's taste in art and mine is that I have some. They're fascinating. It's like being inside a dream or something. There's truth but no logic.
  • Do you know of Dr. Freud, Mr. Ismay? His ideas about the male preoccupation with size might be of particular interest to you.
  • I got everything I need right here with me. I got air in my lungs, a few blank sheets of paper. I mean, I love waking up in the morning not knowing what's gonna happen or, who I'm gonna meet, where I'm gonna wind up. Just the other night I was sleeping under a bridge and now here I am on the grandest ship in the world having champagne with you fine people. I figure life's a gift and I don't intend on wasting it. You don't know what hand you're gonna get dealt next. You learn to take life as it comes at you... to make each day count.
  • They've got you trapped, Rose. And you're gonna die if you don't break free. Maybe not right away because you're strong but... sooner or later that fire that I love about you, Rose... that fire's gonna burn out...
  • I know... it doesn't make any sense. That's why I trust it.
  • I'm flying, Jack!
  • I'd rather be his whore than your wife.
  • You can't keep us locked up in here like animals - the ship's bloody sinking!
  • Music to drown by. Now I know I'm in first class.
  • I'm sorry I didn't build you a stronger ship, young Rose.
  • You jump, I jump. Right?
  • I don't know about you, but I intend on writing a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about all of this.
  • Don't you do that, don't say your good-byes. …Listen, Rose. You're gonna get out of here, you're gonna go on and make lots of babies, and you're gonna watch them grow. You're gonna die an old... an old lady warm in her bed, but not here, not this night. Not like this, do you understand me? …Winning that ticket, Rose, was the best thing that ever happened to me... it brought me to you. And I'm thankful for that, Rose. I'm thankful. You must do me this honor, Rose. Promise me you'll survive. That you won't give up, no matter what happens, no matter how hopeless. Promise me now, Rose, and never let go of that promise.…Never let go.
    - I'll never let go, Jack.
  • 1,500 people went into the sea... when Titanic sank from under us... there were twenty boats floating nearby... and only one came back. Six were saved from the water... myself included. *Six*. Out of 1,500. Afterward, the 700 people in the boats had nothing to do but wait... wait to die... wait to live... wait for an absolution... that would never come.
  • Dawson, Rose Dawson.
  • A women’s heart is a deep ocean of secrets.
Stills:




























No comments: