Monday, January 5, 2009

Walking Across Egypt



















1999

Director: Arthur Allan Seidelman

Distributor: Independent Florida Film Industry

Key Elements: Story – Characters – Message

My Review:

This little known movie is full of heart.

A lonely widow takes in a runaway delinquent. During that time, he finds out what it’s like to be loved and she learns to open her heart up to someone.

The best thing about this movie is that it shows Christian love in action.

At the same stroke, it shows the hypocrisy and judgment of many in the church – a good statement to make.

Throughout it all, it’s fun to see how the older woman and the younger man interact and find common ground.

Great writing.

Clip::



Quotes:
  • “Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do this to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.”
  • Like I told you, I ain’t your grandma.
  • I thought that maybe if I took a piece of cake to that boy, it’d be like taking it to Jesus.
    - Was it?
    What?
    - Was it like taking a piece of cake to Jesus?
    I don’t know. I never took food to Jesus.
    - Did it seem the same?
    No. He didn’t look like Jesus. And he definitely didn’t talk like Him.
  • Doesn’t seem right. Children your age behind bars.
  • Thank god, cigarettes.
    - Thank Lamar. God had nothing to do with it.
  • She won’t even keep a stray dog Wesley.
  • He’s one of the least of these, my brethren
  • There’s a lot of fightin’. That’s how a boy gets respect in the RC – proves he’s a man.
    - I’d say that’s a coward’s way to try and make peace. Any man can fight. Takes a
    real man to walk away.
    Ain’t no where to walk away to.
  • You got any of them soapy bubbles?
  • Hold on young man. You need to say the blessin’.
    - I ain’t ever said no blessin’.
    Well it’s easy. You just talk to God like, like he’s a friend who just gave you something.
  • Did you ever stick your finger in a buiscuit?
  • The warden ought to read his Bible instead of the dictionary.
  • You don’t know these people!
    - Well that’s what I’m doing.
    What?
    - I’m getting to know ‘em.
  • Ambidextrous. It means you’re just as good with your right hand as you are with your left. It means you’re versatile.
    - That’s me.
    It also means you’re a double-dealer.
  • You know people say time doesn’t stop. But ever since I was a little girl, I always felt that right after the sun disappeared over the horizon, there was a pause – when nothing moved, not even time. I like to sit perfectly still, not moving ‘cause time’s not moving. Now it seems to me, that if you’re not careful you could just slip right out of this world and into another one. …I hope when my time comes, it’s close to dusk. So I can just wait for that still moment.
  • You know, if I ever do meet my grandma, I hope she’s just like you.
  • “I’m walking across Egypt – my heart shall see the way.”
  • We’re all family in God’s eyes.
  • Are you my grandma?
    - I don’t know. Maybe I am.
  • Why you recon he come back here?
    - The pound cake I imagine.
  • You’ve done more than most would. Doesn’t the Bible say when to stop?
    - No!
  • You ever been swimmin’ Blake? …just floatin’ there in the cool water on a hot day? …it’s what being in space must feel like I recon.
  • Reverend Vernon gave a talk last Wednesday night about boys like him - called them Secular Humanists, said they’re all over the place. …well they do all these secular things for one thing. And you just don’t know when they’re going to break into your bedroom and start doing some of it to you.
  • Shh… you hear that?
    - Wesley I don’t hear nothing
    That’s cause time’s about to stand still
    - Johnny’s comin’ Wes. Wes, what the hell you doin’?
    Just waitin’ for that still moment.
  • Wesley, I signed your papers. You’re coming home with me.
  • Who is that old lady?
    - That’s his grandma.
Stills:






No comments: