Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button


















2008

Director: David Fincher

Composer: Alexandre Desplat

Distributor: Paramount Pictures

Key Elements: Concept - Visuals - Music - Story - Message

My Review:

The moment I saw the trailer, I knew I would like this movie, based on the short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald. And I did like it. But I also mulled over it for a while afterword.

First, the bad - This movie was deeply thought provoking in regard to all areas of life except one: Sex. The writers of this story seemed to think that sex is somehow an unavoidably important part of life – but apparently not one important enough to merit any kind of critical thought or disciplined decision-making.

BUT, there’s also a lot of cool things about this movie.

The visual effects are stunning – not only the cinematography and scene setting, but also the incredible make-up job done to make Brad Pitt look old AND young.

Also, the music is gorgeous and effectively sets up the tone of the story.

One of my favorite things was the short story told at the very beginning of a clockmaker who builds a clock that runs backward. An artistically Steinbeckian parallel parable.

The short comedic flashbacks to how a man gets struck by lightening are funny reminders of how we should always value our lives and be thankful for what we have.

Another good message is that life is too short to hold onto bitterness. It’s better to just let things go.

But the best part of the movie is how is makes you consider both life and death. Benjamin’s condition is a constant reminder that we are all moving through life toward a final destination. The reality of our mortality is a hard drink to swallow, but it is important to consider just where we invest this short gift of life.

Trailer:



Quotes:


  • My name is Benjamin Button, and I was born under unusual circumstances. While, everyone else was agin', I was gettin' younger... all alone
  • I was thinking how nothing last, and what a shame that is.
    - Some things last.
  • You're so young.
    - Only on the outside.
  • For what it’s worth, it’s never too late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit… start whenever you want… you can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. I hope you see things that stop you. I hope you feel things that you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life that you’re proud of and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.
Stills:















































No comments: