Thursday, January 15, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire



















2008

Director: Danny Boyle

Composer: A. R. Rahman

Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures / Warner Brothers

Key Elements: Story – Visuals – Message – Concept – Music

My Review:

This movie recently won Golden Globes for Best Screenplay, Best Original Score, Best Director and Best Motion Picture – Drama. I watched this at an art-house theater and can definitely say it deserved them all. I continue to be completely amazed by Danny Boyle's brilliant film-making.

Based on the book, Q and A, by Vikas Awarup, the story tells of how a boy’s life experiences have equipped him with the answers to a trivia game show. As the movie explains these answers, we get to see his life unfold. Brilliant visuals and moving music make for a stunning film, but it’s the story that really blows you away. I was pleasantly surprised when, in the end, it turned out to be a love story.

I’ve had some exposure to Bollywood and thoroughly enjoyed the similarities. From the random switching between English and Hindi, to the head-wagging yeses, to the inexplicable dance sequence, this movie pays tribute to it’s influences.

But I also loved that there was no sex scene in it. The makers of this movie opted to instead show some class and creativity and just allow a good story to be told. Way to go guys.

Trailer:



Quotes:

  • You think I don’t wake up every morning wishing I didn’t know the answer to that question?
  • Steel balls is what it takes, my friend, steel balls
  • Your destiny in on your hands, bhai

Stills:











No comments: