Sunday, January 4, 2009

SLC Punk!



















1998

Director: James Merendino

Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics

Key Elements: Concept – Characters – Message – Lines

My Review:

Interestingly enough, this movie both pays homage to and de-validates the punk lifestyle.

The most interesting part of the movie for me was the Mike character. The one who looks like he doesn’t belong is more hardcore punk than anyone. Though he looks like Wally Clever, he has an anti-establishment ideology that matches Che Rivera in rebellion. He’s so punk, he’s come full circle.

The most moving part is when Stevo finds Heroine Bob dead. It’s disturbing enough. But becomes absolutely heartbreaking when Steve sobbs “What am I going to do for friends?” You really get a sense of just how alone he feels.

But the story makes its greatest statement in the end. Stevo realizes that being against everything means his future holds nothing. He cleans up and lives straight.

The implication is that life has a lot more to offer when you define yourself by what you’re for – not by what you’re against.

Clip:



Quotes:

  • To be an anarchist in Salt Lake City was certainly no easy task, especially in 1985.
  • Do you love her? - I don't know. I'd have to think about that. -It's not really a thinking question.
  • I don't know who started it and I don't give a fuck. The one thing I do know is that we did it harder, we did it faster, and we definitely did it with more love, baby. You can't take that away from us.
  • I wanna save the rain forests, y'know, somebody's gotta fight for them, it's just... [slams the table]
  • I like Sandy. Now Sandy has nothing to do with anarchy in general, she's just a beautiful, wonderful, funny, witty, loving, sexy, tough-as-nails, little weird girl, and I absolutely adore her. I like Sandy a lot.
  • You don't live your life by lyrics
  • I rest my case on this: In a country of lost souls rebellion comes hard. But in a religiously oppressive city, where half it's population isn't even of that religion, it comes like fire.
  • It wasn't that I loved Sandy, I knew that we had an understanding. But I discovered then that Chris was right, all things had systems, even me. I was about to beat the living shit out of this guy because he had invaded my territory. It was MY territory, no question about it, just like in the wild. I was following nature, and nature was order and order is the system.
  • Only posers die you fucking idiot!
  • What do you do when your foundation falls apart? I don't know. They don't teach you that in school.Where were we going? I mean, really, what was happening? This life, it was crazy. I felt tired. I mean, halfway through the season, I just felt, inside, I was so tired. And I had this wave of melancholy just like sweep through me.
Still:

No comments: