Sunday, January 4, 2009

Pulp Fiction



















1994

Director: Quentin Tarantino

Distributor: Miramax Films

Key Elements: Concept – Lines

My Review:

Tarantino is a master of revisiting old movie genres and making them flashy and new. Here he reinvents film noir for us.

Told in a non-linear fashion, we follow several characters of the underworld as they go throughout their day. It gives us classic lines, iconic imagery and an unforgettable movie experience.

This is when the world first realized that Tarantino has style.

Trailer:



Quotes:
  • I do believe Marsellus Wallace, my husband, your boss, told you to take ME out and do WHATEVER I WANTED. Now I wanna dance, I wanna win. I want that trophy, so dance good.
  • Whether or not what we experienced was an According to Hoyle miracle is insignificant.
  • What is significant is that I felt the touch of God. God got involved.
  • We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.
    - How many up there?
    Three or four.
    - That's countin' our guy?
    Not sure.
    - So that means there could be up to five guys up there?
    It's possible.
    - We should have fuckin' shotguns.
  • I ain't saying it's right. But you're saying a foot massage don't mean nothing, and I'm saying it does. Now look, I've given a million ladies a million foot massages, and they all meant something. We act like they don't, but they do, and that's what's so fucking cool about them. There's a sensuous thing going on where you don't talk about it, but you know it, she knows it, fucking Marsellus knew it, and Antwan should have fucking better known better. I mean, that's his fucking wife, man. He can't be expected to have a sense of humor about that shit. You know what I'm saying?
  • Yeah, we cool. Two things. Don't tell nobody about this. This shit is between me, you, and Mr. Soon-To-Be-Living-The-Rest-of-His-Short-Ass-Life-In-Agonizing-Pain Rapist here. It ain't nobody else's business. Two: you leave town tonight, right now. And when you're gone, you stay gone, or you be gone. You lost all your L.A. privileges. Deal?
  • The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride fucking with you. Fuck pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps.
  • The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.
  • That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the fuck up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence.
  • I'm American, honey. Our names don't mean shit.
  • Get it straight buster - I'm not here to say please, I'm here to tell you what to do and if self-preservation is an instinct you possess you'd better fucking do it and do it quick! I'm here to help - if my help's not appreciated then lotsa luck, gentlemen.
Stills:







No comments: