Sunday, January 4, 2009

Pride and Prejudice



















2005

Director: Joe Wright

Distributor: Focus Features

Key Elements: Story – Characters – Lines – Music

My Review:

I liked this movie so much I actually bought and read Jane Austin’s novel.

To tell the truth, I thought the movie did a slightly better job telling the story – the ending was wrapped up more neatly.

The dialogue is well delivered – particularly the scene where Elizabeth and Lady Catherine exchange intimidations. Lizzy elegantly puts her in her place.

The real draw of this story is, of course, seeing the tension build between Elizabeth and Darcy and then dissolve into love.

A classic love story.

But I admit, I probably wouldn’t have liked this movie as much if not for Kiera Knightly.

Trailer:



Quotes:

  • Is he amiable?
  • Count your blessings Lizzie. If he liked you, you'd have to talk to him.
  • Well, if Jane does die, it will be a comfort to know she was in pursuit of Mr. Bingley.
  • Your mother insists on you marrying Mr. Collins... Well, Lizzie, from this day henceforth it seems you must be a stranger to one of your parents... Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins... and I will never see you again if you do.
  • What on earth have you done to poor Mr. Darcy?
    - I have no idea.
  • I'm sure that the feelings which, as you've told me have hindered your regard, will help you in overcoming it.
  • Now tell me once and for all: Are you engaged to him?
    - I am not.
    And will you promise never to enter into such an engagement?
    - I will not and I certainly never shall.
    You have insulted me in every possible way, and can now have nothing further to say. I must ask you to leave immediately. Good night.
    I have never been thus treated in my entire life.
  • You must know... surely, you must know it was all for you. You are too generous to trifle with me. I believe you spoke with my aunt last night, and it has taught me to hope as I'd scarcely allowed myself before. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes have not changed, but one word from you will silence me forever. If, however, your feelings have changed, I will have to tell you: you have bewitched me, body and soul, and I love, I love, I love you. I never wish to be parted from you from this day on.
  • I've been so blind.
  • I cannot believe that anyone can deserve you... but it appears I am overruled. So, I heartily give my consent …I could not have parted with you, my Lizzie, to anyone less worthy.
  • How are you this evening, my dear?
    - Oh, please do not call me that for my father always calls my mother that when he is cross.
    Alright then, what can I call you?
    - Call me Lizzie daily and My Pearl on Sundays.
    What shall I call you when I am cross then? Mrs. Darcy?
    - No. Only call me Mrs. Darcy when you are devotedly happy and everything is perfect. Mrs. Darcy... Mrs. Darcy... Mrs. Darcy... The lovely Mrs. Darcy.

Stills:







No comments: