Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Twilight


















2008

Director: Catherine Hardwicke

Distributor: Summit Entertainment

Key Elements: Concept - Symbolism - Characters - Story

My Review:

I haven’t read Stephenie Meyer’s book, but I went to see this with my friend at the midnight showing opening night and I had a blast.

The premise is simple but interesting – a girl and a vampire fall in love. The relationship is a dynamic one.

I really got into the story when Edward saved Bella from a gang of guys with sick intensions. That’s the sort of thing I like to see. I was impressed enough by his desire to protect her, but I was blown away by his self control in NOT giving those guys the beating they deserved.

Edward’s self-control was actually my favorite part of the story. Edward wrestles with the inner tension of wanting to love Bella and wanting to eat her. I could identify with the difficulty he faced in trying to deny his urges.

As a single, Christian guy, I am called to discipline and abstinence because purity and faithfulness are worth it. But I am human and I live in a culture where I am constantly barraged by sex. It can be difficult to stay true to my convictions.

That is why I was so pumped when Edward flew backward from Bella when making out became too much for him, and when he was able to stop himself from killing Bella while sucking her blood to save her.

Christian guys need to have that kind of self control and inner strength.

Trailer:



Quotes:

  • You've got to give me some answers.
    - I'd rather hear your theories.
    I have considered radioactive spiders and kryptonite.
    That's all superhero stuff, right? What if I'm not the hero? What if I'm... the bad guy?
  • If you're smart... you'll stay away from me.
  • How old are you?
    - Seventeen.
    How long have you been seventeen?
    - A while.
  • I know what you are. You're impossibly fast. And strong. Your skin is pale white, and ice cold. Your eyes change colour, and sometimes you speak like, like you're from a different time. You never eat or drink anything. You don't go out in the sunlight.
    - Say it. Out loud
    Vampire
  • Are you afraid?
    - I'm only afraid of losing you.
  • And so the lion fell in love with the lamb.
    - What a stupid lamb.
    What a sick, masochistic lion.
  • About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him, and I didn't know how dominate that part might be, that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him.
  • I can't ever lose control with you.
  • Bella is with Edward. She's a part of this family, and we protect our family. We protect our family.
  • You are my life now.
  • I should go back there and rip those guys' heads off.
    - Um... No, you shouldn't.
    You don't know the vile, repulsive things they were thinking.
    - And you do?
    It's not hard to guess.
    - Can you talk about something else? Distract me so i won't turn around.
    You should put your seat belt on.
    - Haha... you should put your seat belt on!
  • Did you... follow me?
    - I-I feel very... protective of you.
    So you followed me.
    - I was trying to keep a distance unless you needed my help and then I heard what those low-lifes were thinking
  • Remember who you are.
  • I'd never given much though to how I would die. But dying in place of someone I love, seems like a good way to go. I can't bring myself to regret the decisions that brought me face to face with death. They also brought me to Edward.
Stills:







No comments: