Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Gattaca


















1997

Director: Andrew Niccol

Composer: Michael Nyman

Distributor: Columbia Pictures

Key Elements: Concept - Message - Music - Story

My Review:

This movie is for anyone who feels inadequate.

Vincent is born naturally into a world where value is limited to those who have been genetically “perfected.” He is therefore doomed by his own DNA to second-class citizenship. It’s interesting to consider as our own geneticist get closer and closer to decoding the human genome (or have they already?)

But Vincent refuses to be held down. He dreams of becoming an astronaut – an endeavor usually reserved for the genetically sound. He works out an underground deal that allows him to move under the radar toward his goal.

In the end, it’s a great story about how going for broke and not giving up can be a rewarding risk to take.

Oh, and the music is completely beautiful.

Clip:



Quotes:

  • "Consider God's handiwork; who can straighten what He hath made crooked?" - Ecclesiastes 7:13
  • "I not only think that we will tamper with Mother Nature, I think Mother wants us to." - Willard Gaylin
  • No, there's truly nothing remarkable about the progress of Jerome Morrow... Except that I am *not* Jerome Morrow.
  • I belonged to a new underclass, no longer determined by social status or the color of your skin. No, we now have discrimination down to a science
  • You didn't know?
    - Oh, I knew. It's amazing, isn't it?
    - Twelve fingers or one, it's how you play
    That piece can only be played with twelve.
  • You are the authority on what is not possible, aren't you Irene? They've got you looking for any flaw, that after a while that's all you see. For what it's worth, I'm here to tell you that it is possible. It is possible.
  • Vincent! How are you doing this Vincent? How have you done any of this? We have to go back.
    - It's too late for that. We're closer to the other side.
    What other side? You wanna drown us both?
    - You wanna know how I did it? This is how I did it Anton. I never saved anything for the swim back.
  • I got the better end of the deal. I only lent you my body
    - you lent me your dream.
  • What's this?
    - New Policy, what's the matter? Flight got you nervous.
    Nope, there's a problem Lamar...
    - ...I still haven't told you about my son have I. He's a big fan of yours...
    Just remember. I was as good as any, and better than most...
    - ...He wants to apply here...
    ...I could've gone up and back and nobody would've been the wiser...
    - ...unfortunately my son's not all that they promised. But then again, who knows what he could do.
    …For future reference, right handed men don't hold it with their left. Just one of those things. …You're gonna miss your flight Vincent.
  • For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home.
Stills:
















No comments: