Thursday, January 15, 2009

That Thing You Do!




















1996

Director: Tom Hanks

Composer: Howard Shore

Distributor: Fox Movies

Key Elements: Lines – Characters – Message – Music

My Review:

I grew up on oldies so when this movie came out, I was stoked. Amazingly all the original songs in the movie SOUND like they belong to the time they were written for. Well done.

Also, I had a huge crush on Liv Tyler’s character, Faye – so that helped my enjoyment of the film.

The story tracks a band as it goes from garage obscurity to wild success to an ultimate breakup. It’s a great ride along the way as we get to know the characters – Lenny’s quips especially are hysterical.

But the message of the movie comes from the interesting juxtaposition between Jimmie and Guy.

Jimmie is truly talented and we are told he goes on to be wildly successful in the music industry. He is driven, but his drive leaves him, in the end, alone and unhappy.

Guy on the other hand is also talented, but he is less driven. His interest is not for the success, but for the music itself. We see his genuine love for the music throughout - from his late night solo drum sessions to his awe of meeting and jamming with his idol, soulful Jazz musician Dell Paxton. Though Guy finds some success as a musician, it never matches Jimmie’s. All the same, in the end, Guy is in love and happy.

The message is about being genuine and not selling out. Jimmie was a sell out – though he got what he thought he wanted, he wasn’t happy. Guy on the other hand was genuine, and he got everything he wanted – the music AND the girl.

Interesting note: The film’s fictional record company, Playtone, became the name of Tom Hank’s production company after this film was made.

Trailer:



Quotes:
  • Hey, wasn't that our fan?
  • You mean actually make a record? A record record, record?
  • Are you crazy? A man in a really nice camper wants to put our song on the radio! Gimme a pen, I'm signin'! You're signin'! We're all signin'!
  • You guys look great in black, have I told you that?
  • You guys look great in gold, have I told you that?
  • You guys look great in red, have I told you that?
  • You see, we're not "The Wonders" right now. We're "Cap'n Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters"
  • It is very important that you don't stink today.
    - Hey, I make no guarantees.
  • Where was I? Oh yeah, playing songs on my guitar.
  • She told me never trust a label. And I'm beginning to believe her.
    - Well, sure. I mean, come on. They put us up in a first class hotel, all expenses paid, while our record climbs the charts; bunch of lyin' snakes.
    Sorry I'm buggin' you! I guess I'm alone in my principles.
    - Oh come on. Oh, there he goes off to his room to write that hit song "Alone in my principles."
  • I have wasted thousands and thousands of kisses on you - kisses that I thought were special because of your lips and your smile and all your color and life. I used to think that was the real you, when you smiled. But now I know you don't mean any of it. You just save it for all your songs. Shame on me for kissing you with my eyes closed so tight.
  • Shoulda dumped you in Pittsburgh! …Which one of you butts said we were engaged?
    - The same person who said you had class, Jimmy.
  • But we still have a hit record.
    - Yes, you do… The one-hit Wonders - A very common tale.
  • You know, Horace was right about you, Guy; you are the smart one. Lenny is the fool, Jimmy is the... talent, and Faye is... well, now, Faye is special, isn't she? And you are the smart one. That's what I think, anyway
  • Was she a good kisser?
    - Yeah.
    Yeah?
    - It would be ungentlemanly of me to elaborate. Gentleman. I'd forgotten what you guys looked like.
  • When was the last time you were decently kissed? I mean, truly, truly, good and kissed?
Stills:















1 comment:

rockiesfan2lo said...

The best movie ever!!!!

I have loved this movie ever since i was two years old. This is a great movie

:D