Monday, January 5, 2009

Vanilla Sky



















2001

Director: Cameron Crowe

Distributor: Paramount Pictures

Key Elements: Characters – Lines – Message – Concept

My Review:

Based on the Spanish film, Abre los Ojos, this is the ultimate Existentialist movie.

Existentialism teaches that there are certain things in life that we must accept, but our response to our lives is up to us – we choose what is meaningful to us.

David’s big choice comes at the end of the movie – will he live a lie or risk reality?

I also like David’s idea of being a “pleasure delayer” – of putting off gratification to build anticipation so that when the time finally comes, it’s amazing. This perspective makes it easier to have patience.

My favorite thing about this movie is a quote from Sophia: “Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.” It’s a great reminder of the opportunities for good we all have. This is particularly true for the Christian, because God’s mercies are new every morning.

Clip (Spoiler):



Quotes:
  • Isn’t that what being young is about? Believing secretly that you would be the one person in the history of man who would live forever.
  • I know sour, which allows me to appreciate the sweet.
  • Most of us live our whole lives... without any real adventure to call our own.
  • Well, you know, I'm a pleasure delayer
  • You will never know the exquisite pain of the guy, who goes home alone.
  • Every passing minute is a another chance to turn it all around
  • We better watch out…
  • My dreams are a cruel joke. They taunt me. Even in my dreams I'm an idiot... who knows he's about to wake up to reality. If I could only avoid sleep. But I can't. I try to tell myself what to dream. I try to dream that I am flying. Something free. It never works...
  • This is a revolution of the mind.
  • You’re in fucking sad shape! Don’t fucking ever hit a girl! Hit me, but don’t fucking ever hit a girl!
  • You have revealed yourself to me.
  • Listen to me because this is the last time we’re ever going to speak… I was your friend.
  • I wanna wake up! Tech support! It's a nightmare! Tech support! Tech support!
  • You were missed, David. It was Sofia who never fully recovered. It was she who some how knew you best... and like you, she never forgot that one night where true love seemed possible.
  • Look at us. I'm frozen and you're dead, and I love you.
  • I want to live a real life... I don't want to dream any longer.
  • The little things... there's nothing bigger, is there?
  • Open your eyes.
Stills:















No comments: