Sunday, January 4, 2009

Requiem for a Dream



















2000

Director: Darren Aronofsky

Distributor: Artisan Entertainment

Key Elements: Story – Visuals – Message - Music

My Review:

I hold this movie responsible for my avoidance of drugs. I don’t see how anyone could want to risk that habit after seeing this story played out.

Aronofsky again addresses obsession, this time looking at how addiction tears lives apart. In the end, Sara has lost her mind, Marion has prostituted herself, Tyrone is in jail, and Harry looses his arm. They’ve all had their lives ripped away, leaving them broken and isolated – completely alone.

But Aronofsky tells the story with a surreal, bizarre style – sometimes leaving the viewer as disoriented as the characters.

This movie also gave us an intense, classic movie score.

Oh... Don’t do drugs, kids.

Clip:



Quotes:
  • Purple in the morning, blue in the afternoon, and orange in the evening. Just like that, one, two, three, four.
  • Anybody wanna waste some time?
  • Ma? Ya on uppers?
  • I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old. …Ah, it's not the same. They don't need me. I like the way I feel. I like thinking about the red dress and the television and you and your father. Now when I get the sun, I smile.
  • I love you, Harry.
    - I love you too, Mom.
  • Ass to ass.
  • Did what? Some dumbass junkie did what? You mean, you fucked it up!
  • No... she won't come.
Still:















No comments: