Monday, January 5, 2009

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi



















1983

Director: Richard Marquand

Distributor: Fox Movies / Lucasfilm

Key Elements: Story – Visuals – Characters – Lines – Music – Message

My Review:

The conclusion of the Star Wars story. Lucas would later make three prequels, but they amounted to little more than lame attempts to resurrect the franchise. The story is complete in the original trilogy.

It wasn’t until I was older that I picked up on the meaning of Luke’s final fight against Vader. Luke resists the temptation to kill his father. And Vader overcomes his own darkness to defeat the Emperor. With tension on multiple levels, there’s as much inner struggle here as there is violent struggle.

And of course, we love the speeder bikes and Ewoks on Endor.

Clip:



Quotes:
  • Obi-Wan has taught you well.
  • Hey, Luke, thanks. Thanks for coming after me. I owe you one.
  • Remember, a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware. Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. Luke... Luke... do not... do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor or suffer your father's fate you will. Luke, when gone am I... the last of the Jedi will you be. Luke, the Force runs strong in your family. Pass on what you have learned, Luke. There is... another... Sky... walker.
  • But, why must you confront him? -
    - Because, there is good in him. I've felt it. He won't turn me over to the Emperor. I can save him. I can turn him back to the good side. I have to try.
  • Luke, don't talk that way. You have a power I don't understand and could never have.
    - You're wrong, Leia. You have that power too. In time you'll learn to use it as I have. The Force runs strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. And... my sister has it. Yes. It's you, Leia.
  • Search your feelings, Father, you can't do this. I feel the conflict within you. Let go of your hate.
    - It is too late for me, son. The Emperor will show you the true nature of the Force. He is your master now.
    Then my father is truly dead.
  • I will not fight you, father.
    - You are unwise to lower your defenses!
  • I have to save you.
    - You already have.
  • Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side. You've failed, your highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me.
Stills:















No comments: