Monday, January 5, 2009

Waterworld


















1995

Director: Kevin Reynolds

Distributor: Universal Pictures

Key Elements: Concept – Visuals

My Review:

A critical failure – and an expensive one at that – this movie is still a favorite of mine. I love post-apocalyptic flicks. But this one’s spin is that water had destroyed the world because we’ve caused global warming and melted the ice-caps.

When I was a kid, I used to play with my friend in his parents pool and we would pretend we were in this movie. That tells me they really tapped into something here. Living on boats, diving to sunken cities and scrounging supplies to survive creates a fantasy environment all its own.

Also, the fact that the way to “Dry land” – salvation - is written on a child is reminiscent of the Christmas story.

Trailer:



Quotes:

  • Nothing's free in Waterworld.
  • Dry land is not just our destination, it is our destiny!
  • Dry land is a myth. …You're a fool to believe in something you've never seen.
  • I haven't seen it. And I've sailed further then most men have dreamed.
  • Some say it's the way to dry land.
Stills:









No comments: