Monday, January 5, 2009

Spanglish



















2004

Director: James L. Brooks

Distributor: Columbia Pictures

Key Elements: Characters - Message

My Review:

This movie makes me want to learn Spanish.

It draws an interesting distinction between White and Minority America. On the one hand you have people similar to Deborah – wavering between being disrespectful or patronizing towards the minority population. On the other hand, you have people like John – respecting minorities as people with the same cares and concerns as anyone else.

That is actually one of the main messages of the movie – people are people, no matter where they’re from. This is a good message for those who create immigration policies to consider.

The other great thing about this movie is how it looks at fidelity in marriage. Deborah has a great husband, but cheats on him. John has a great friendship with the maid, Flor, and is tempted to take that friendship further when he gets the news of Deborah’s cheating – but doesn’t. The beauty of this story comes from John and Flor choice to not pursue an adulterous relationship.

The characters are so well written, this movie merits re-watching. Adam Sandler can definitely do tender roles – he’s self-controlled when his wife breaks his heart, genuinely connects with Flor as a concerned parent, and shows attentive love for his children.

Trailer:



Quotes:
  • American women, I believe, actually feel the same as Hispanic women about weight: A desire for the comfort of fullness. And when that desire is repressed for style, and deprivation allowed to rule, dieting exercising American women become afraid of everything associated with being curvaceous. Such as wantonness, lustfulness, sex, food, motherhood. All that is best in life.
  • I know what it’s like when you feel like your kid’s being messed with. It won’t happen again. It won’t.
  • You’re kidding me. Pretty wild to say something to somebody and have someone just concede the point. I’m dazed here.
  • Listen to your mother. She knows it all.
  • Do this for me or I’ll set my hair on fire and start punching myself in the face! …yeah, yeah you’re right. That was an unusual way for me to make myself understood.
  • You don’t have to worry about Bernice. Nothing is going to change that heart.
    - Yeah, thanks. …It’s just great to hear someone else say that out loud.
  • Worrying about your kids is sanity, and being that sane... can drive you nuts.
  • I’ve never known a man who can put himself in my place like you do. …how did you become that man?
    - I don’t know… Would you get out of the damn wind? Sit down!
  • You speaking English, it’s… Nice meeting you.
  • Deborah, you are going to lose your husband if you don’t stop what you are doing. And you are never going to find someone as good. …if you do not act quickly, you will soon cement an awful fate for yourself: a life with no hope of repair, which has already begun to turn desperate and dumb. …that’s it! Drive carefully.
  • …honey, lately your low self-esteem is just good common sense.
  • Hold on, hold on, hold on. I’m… I’m missing what you’re saying. You can’t keep talking and expect me to follow it when you start the way you did.
    - Well then, what did you hear?
    I couldn't hear you. There was a crack in the planet. WOW... that was noisy! There was an actual noise in my head. …when you talk that fast, I’m not going to hear you. There’s a lot going through my mind right now.
  • I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to avoid knowing. …no. damn it. There’s not.
  • What other questions could there be?
  • How are you really that much nicer than me?
    - Well, you didn't set the bar that high.
  • …I gotta get out of here. You keep talking. …stay put.
  • Would you be willing to hang out with me for a while?
  • My hand is the only sane part of my body. Every other part wants to jump off a cliff.
  • …It’s me. I’m not making any sense. But I can get you fed.
  • I am enjoying actually being of use to my daughter. I am enjoying the fact that I really know how to advise you. And the miracle that you are so deeply disoriented that you are gobbling up everything I say. …right now, the lessons of my life are coming in handy for you.
  • They should name a gender after you. Looking at you doesn't do it, staring is the only way that makes sense. And trying not to blink so you don't miss anything. And all of that and you're you. It's just… forgive me, but you are drop dead crazy gorgeous. So much so, that I'm actually considering looking at you again before we finish up here.
    - Soon. Please.
  • There are some mistakes you cannot risk when you have children.
  • I love you.
    -…what??
  • Do you know that right now you are your own worst enemy? That you cannot trust one thought in your brain.
  • It’s not the worst thing in the world to find out that you love your husband.
  • …I’m just so glad you’re back.
  • I just hate that you had that kind of night.
    - It’s good for me to worry about something that really matters. Instead of the stupid stuff that’s usually on my mind.
    Like..?
    - Surviving.
    What? How did you come up with this? You are fantastic Bernie, I love you. I love you.
  • I think you are a wonderful boy. Be good – like you are.
  • You are a trip. You are. You are a beauty.
  • Listen, I’m sorry that you’re sad, but this could have been so much worse.
  • I lived my life for myself. You live your life for your daughter. None of it works.
  • God bless the guy who gets you.
  • I had publicly scorned my mother. And yet she had not reacted.
  • No space between us!
  • Is what you want for yourself to become someone very different than me?
  • My identity rests firmly and happily on one fact: I am my mother's daughter.
Stills:






No comments: