Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Princess Bride



















1987

Director: Rob Reiner

Distributor: Fox Movies

Key Elements: Story – Lines – Characters – Message

My Review:

This is a classic.

Based on William Goldman’s book, this comedic melodrama is incredibly quotable. It also accomplishes the rare feet of being both hilarious and clean.

And I love that Fred Savage plays the kid being told the story.

Montage:



Quotes:
  • Hear this now: I will always come for you.
    - But how can you be sure?
    This is true love. You think this happens every day?
  • No more rhyming and I mean it!
    - Anybody want a peanut?
  • INCONCEIVABLE.
    - You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
  • They're kissing again. Do we have to read the kissing parts?
  • We'll never survive.
    - Nonsense. You're only saying that because no one ever has.
  • Surrender.
    - You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept.
  • You truly love each other and so you might have been truly happy. Not one couple in a century has that chance, no matter what the story books say. And so I think no man in a century will suffer as greatly as you will.
  • Have fun storming the castle!
  • Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us toogeder tooday.
  • There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world. It would be a pity to damage yours.
  • First things first, to the death.
    - No. To the pain.
    I don't think I'm quite familiar with that phrase.
    - I'll explain and I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon.
    That may be the first time in my life a man has dared insult me.
    - It won't be the last. To the pain means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists. Next your nose.
    And then my tongue I suppose, I killed you too quickly the last time. A mistake I don't mean to duplicate tonight.
    - I wasn't finished. The next thing you will lose will be your left eye followed by your right.
    And then my ears, I understand let's get on with it.
    - WRONG. Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.
    I think your bluffing.
    -It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all. …DROP... YOUR... SWORD!
  • Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
  • You know Fezzik, you finally did something right.
    - Don't worry, I won't let it go to my head.
  • Since the invention of the kiss there have been five kisses that were rated the most passionate, the most pure. This one left them all behind. The End.
  • As you wish.
Stills:






No comments: