Monday, January 5, 2009

Hauru no ugoku shiro (Howl’s Moving Castle)


















2004

Director: Hayao Miyazaki

Distributor: Studio Ghibli / Buena Vista Home Entertainment

My Review:

So a buddy and me went through this phase where we were watching a lot of Anime, and this one blew us away.

Miyazaki is basically Japan’s Walt Disney, pioneering animation and making advances in both form and story.

Howl’s is based on the novel by Diana Wynne Jones and tells the story of how a cursed girl and a tormented wizard develop and friendship and romance while saving their world from darkness and war.

I honestly can’t pinpoint what I like about this movie. Gorgeous animation, beautiful music and loveably understated characters - It’s just a good watch.

Trailer:



Quotes:
  • What's going on? Someone just told me you floated down into our balcony! - So that did happen, it wasn't a dream.
  • Wow! He must have been a wizard then.
    - But he was so kind to me. He rescued me, Letti.
    Of course he did, he was trying to steal your heart. You were so lucky Sophie, if that wizard were Howl, he would have eaten it.
    - No he wouldn't, Howl only does that to beautiful girls.
  • What a dump. When I think of castles, it's not what I picture
  • She was once quite beautiful, so I decided to pursue her, then I realized she wasn't, so then, as usual, I ran away.
  • I give up. I see no point in living if I can't be beautiful.
  • He's calling the spirits of darkness... I saw him do this once before when a girl dumped him!
  • You shouldn't keep flying around like that. Soon you won't be able to turn back into a human.
  • That boy is extremely dangerous, his powers are far too great for someone without a heart. …If he stays selfish, I'm afraid he'll end up just like the Witch of the Wastes.
  • This war is terrible, they bomb from the southern coast to the northern border. It's all in flames now.
    - I can't stand the fire and gunpowder. Those dopey guys have absolutely no manners.
  • My own kind attacked me today.
    - Who? The Witch of the Wastes?
    No, some hack wizards who turned themselves into monsters for the king.
    - Those wizards are going to regret doing that. They'll never change back into humans.
    After the war, they won't recall they ever were human.
  • I'm such a big coward, all I do is hide. All of this magic is to keep everybody away. I can't stand how scared I am.
  • A heart's a heavy burden.
  • They say that the best blaze burns brightest, when circumstances are at their worst.
  • Sorry, I've had enough of running away, Sophie. Now I've got something I want to protect. It's you.
Stills:















No comments: