Sunday, January 4, 2009

Romeo + Juliet



















1996

Director: Baz Luhrmann

Distribution: Fox Movies

Key Elements: Concept – Visuals – Message

My Review:

Baz Luhrmann excels at creating whimsical worlds for his characters to inhabit.

Here, he takes the classic tale of star-crossed love and dresses it up with a flashy wardrobe, stylish violence, and the surreal retention of the original old English.

A work of art.

Trailer:



Quotes:
  • Two households, both alike in dignity. In Fair Verona where we lay our scene. From ancient grudge break to new mutiny. Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean. From forth the fatal loins of these two foes, a pair of star-crossed lovers take their life.
  • Did my heart love 'till now? Forswear it sight. For I never saw true beauty 'till this night.
  • My only love sprung from my only hate! Too early seen unknown, and known too late!
  • Prodigious birth of love it is to me that I must love a loathed enemy.
  • But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.
  • Peace? Peace. I hate the word, as I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee.
  • A plague o' both your houses! They have made worms' meat of me.
  • Either thou, or I, or both must go with him!
Stills:





















No comments: